May 23 World Turtle Day
May 23 World Turtle Day - animals that symbolize wisdom, wealth and longevity.
It is believed that one of the best ways to celebrate this day is to do something useful for this species of animal to help them survive. Many studies say that 70% of all turtle species are on the verge of extinction due to global warming as well as environmental pollution.
On World Turtle Day, let's recall some interesting facts about turtles:
1. It is known that turtles belong to one of the oldest groups of reptiles in the world. They date back to long before the dinosaurs, almost 200 million years ago, and this makes them much older than snakes, crocodiles and alligators.
2. The tortoise shell is actually part of its skeleton and consists of almost 50 bones. The tortoise shell really grows with age, like a human skeleton!
3. Contrary to most people's beliefs, turtles can never get out of a shell. Sea turtles, unlike other turtles, can not even remove the flippers and hide in the shell.
4. Turtles love jellyfish, even poisonous ones. Such food preferences can be harmful to them, as turtles often swallow plastic, thinking it is a floating jellyfish.
5. For orientation in space, sea turtles use the Earth's magnetic field. This helps them return to their place of birth